Hi! My name is Kristine Scherpenisse (think “sure-pen-eez”) and I am the Kindergarten teacher at Dalhousie Community Kindergarten. I am passionate about teaching, learning and seizing those “a-ha!” moments that happen in the classroom.
I began my career with a degree in Psychology and practiced as a children’s program counselor at a long term shelter for abused women and children. It broke my heart working with these young children who were struggling through life. What really spoke to me is that many of them were 8, 9, or 10 years old and could not read or write properly. I wanted more for them and for all children so I headed back to school to earn my Bachelor of Education degree. Since then I have spent the past 15 years teaching elementary for the Calgary Board of Education, teaching curriculum to home schooled children, teaching art, and teaching preschool. All of this experience is what I bring with me to the classroom as I get to know each of my students and help them to grow, learn, build their confidence and see that learning is fun!
In addition to being a teacher:
- I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing teenage girls.
- I love to read and have been part of a book club for 12 years.
- I love to go for long walks and hikes.
- I love to travel with my family and friends. Some of the places I have visited include Chile, Thailand, and Costa Rica.
- I am a water colour painter.
- My favourite colour is blue.
- My favourite food is cheeseburger pizza and lobster.
Now that you know a little about me, I look forward to meeting all of the parents and students who walk through the doors of Dalhousie Community Kindergarten!